The learning experience at LIHA:
• There is a low student teacher ration and frequent opportunities for small group learning as well as independent study
• Attention to each students individual interest, learning styles, strengths and needs
• A commitment to an ever progressive pedagogical methods where curiosity is nurtured and students are intellectually challenged
• Dedication to working closely with families
• A Hebrew immersion program and a commitment to proficiency in the classical Jewish texts
• Ongoing involvement in community service projects that heighten students awareness of the needs of others and their responsibility towards community
• A supportive non-competitive environment with a strong focus on social-emotional development
• A commitment to art and music building a students self confidence
• Physical education designed to build a students self esteem, coordination and good health habits
Working with Students
LIHA has a unique approach to individualizing the curriculum to each child's developmental needs in a social setting. Because we appreciate the varied learning styles and ways in which children grow and develop in different areas, the school is structured and the day is scheduled to allow for the greatest flexibility in the ways children are grouped for learning.
Students at LIHA are encouraged to become self-motivated learners and, to this end, we have a unique system of assessment. Students learn to experience the joy of mastery that comes with figuring out how to solve a problem on one's own, practicing and learning a skill, or creating work over a period of time. Teachers continually set goals with students and evaluate and assess their progress while also engaging the children in reflective conversations about their work. Throughout the year children and teachers select pieces that represent a child's best work in various subjects and create a portfolio with every child each year. In addition to this portfolio teachers write a detailed end-of-year narrative documenting each child's progress in all areas of learning.